I'm going to start by saying, yes we've built something like this before, directly integrated into Sanity. We do quite like that solution, and it's faster than what we're about to propose, but the infinitely tweak-able nature of an agent with ChatGPT makes it far more of a comprehensive solution.
Start of the journey
Every journey starts with a reason, and in this particular case, we've wanted to reduce the number of fidgety little bits that slow content velocity. By content velocity I mean "how fast can we punt out a semi-legible blog post".
So as you can imagine, when ChatGPT came about we were even a little bit guilty of being overzealous with ChatGPT to maybe knock out a spammy blog or two. Don't judge us, I'm sure you've got a nose ring or a tattoo in your teenage years... This was ours.
However, much like a teenage tattoo, the romance quickly wained and we were left with the itchy remnants of an eyesore... However unlike the tattoo comparison, we'd seen potential in this, and you'd be silly not too either.
Bring on the agents
When the update for ChatGPT came along, we were the first to "poo poo" the idea of agents. We thought "who'd want a specific agent? I'm not going to edit something like a Figma file through ChatGPT". However, what I hadn't thought about at that time is the applicability of a ChatGPT Agent for an internal team, or an external tool.
This is where the gears kicked into motion and we actually started building and breaking as we usually do. Our first agent was an SEO agent, that could help us write up document outlines, help us with meta title and descriptions, and optimise content to be long-tail short-tail and a range of other things... But guess what. It sucked.
This was our real lightbulb moment. Don't make things multi-faceted or complicated, just make something that does one thing extraordinarily well. Hell, if it worked well for our business (we only build one type of website), I'm sure it'll work for ChatGPT.
Be good at one thing
This is when we built our first ever "Case Study Helper". All it does is take a set of features and spit out the content of a rough case study in a format we like. That's it. It doesn't write anything SEO optimise, it purely sets out a couple of headings, paragraph text and gives me a great starting point to go ham with the technical details.
If you're interested in taking the prompt and tailoring it to your own, here it is below:
Yes I know it's cringey to use "buckets of charisma" within a prompt. What did I tell you, this really is our edgy love pain tattoo we got at 19.
I digress... Remember how we didn't have any form of SEO within the above section. Well one thing we really dislike is counting characters and adjusting keywords to be able to work out what the best meta title, meta description will be for the document. So guess what we built...
Bingo! We built a meta description, meta title tool
Finally, after all the dust cleared and we were able to actually generate a whole bunch of content, we felt somewhat empty. There was a cat-shaped hole that was missing amongst all this automation.
So we built a victorian cat generator for the second (technically third) time. With this tool we got a bit more clever by introducing some shameless self promotion and a lovely little compliment amongst the generator, along with some pre-built selections to generate cats.
And with that beautiful rant of a blog post, we bid thee farewell but not without a parting gift.
Take all of the time saving and prompting we have added above, and tweak it to your hearts content, because a couple seconds saved here and there can very easily add up to days after a year or so. Any automation no matter how small is a good automation.